Marshall D. Culpepper
THE JEENYUS CORNER
South Carolina senator Tom Davis has stated that he is not interested in filling the seat left vacant by fellow conservative U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC). The popular republican from Beaufort says he’s can’t walk out on all the work he’s done for the 2013 state legislative session.
“I’ve gone ahead and told the governor’s office I’m not interested. I’ve put so much work into the 2013 legislative session, I couldn’t in good conscience walk away from that,” he told The Hill on Thursday. “To make Gov. Haley’s job an iota easier, I just called to let them know.”
The former campaign manager and chief of staff Gov. Mark Sanford, has been a rising star in the energetic and increasingly influential tea-party movement. Davis has attracted the attention of libertarian leaning voters nation wide, partly due to his endorsement of congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), and his outspoken criticism of officials in Washington D.C.
One individual that Davis has been heavily critical of has been fellow republican, Lindsey Graham, who is currently serving as a Senior Senator for South Carolina. In a speech this past August at Ron Paul’s “We Are The Future” rally, the state senator said that Graham needed to be “taken care of”, asking the crowd of Paul supporters if they would help.
This has caused widespread speculation that Sen. Davis is gearing up to challenge Graham in the 2014 primary elections, but according to Mr. Davis, he has no plans to run against the controversial U.S. Senator.
“We need somebody in South Carolina who will take on Lindsey Graham and be more along the lines of Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.),” Davis told The Hill. “It may not be me. It probably won’t be me.”
Davis has not completley ruled out the possibility of a run against Graham, and has reportedly been approached by “three or four” national conservative groups had reached out to him about a possible run and that he had “very informal conversations” with them.
“We need somebody in South Carolina who will take on Lindsey Graham and be more along the lines of Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.),” Davis said.
“It may not be me. It probably won’t be me.”
- Senator Resigns Shaking Up South Carolina’s Political Landsape | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Jim DeMint to Leave Senate to Run Heritage Foundation (nytimes.com)
- Breaking: Sen. Jim DeMint Resigns, Will Head the Heritage Foundation (pjmedia.com)
- Jim DeMint leaving the Senate to head Heritage Foundation (dailykos.com)
- Jim DeMint, Tea Party champion, leaving Senate (blogs.ajc.com)
- SC Hacking Blame Game | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rand Paul Stands Strong And Leads Charge To Protect The Right To Trial By Jury | JCTV | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham Rushes To Defense Of Democrats, Foreign Aid | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Lindsey Graham: ‘I Will Violate The Pledge’ To Not Increase Taxes | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Hacker Takes Millions of SC Citizens’ Personal Info | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)