Obama’s Second Term Foreign Policy Will Bring New Challenges Over Drone Strikes
THE JEENYUS CORNER
WASHINGTON (HuffingtonPost.com) – On Wednesday morning, as many Americans sifted through the voter data and exit poll numbers of President Barack Obama’s reelection the night before, the Twitter feeds of close watchers of Yemen lit up with reports of another sort of presidential event: an apparent U.S. drone strike had killed several individuals in that country.
Apparent US drone strike today in Sanhan #Yemen.—
GregorydJohnsen (@gregorydjohnsen) November 07, 2012
There was no way of being certain if the strike was indeed American, or for that matter if it was a drone strike at all, although it had all the markings of one.
“All signs (after dark, suspicions of locals, target) point to Sanhan strike being a US drone,” Yemen-based freelance journalist Adam Baron wrote on Twitter.
Several other analysts concurred.
Sanhan air strike after dark, therefore fair to assume it's US not Yemeni.—
Iona Craig ايونـا (@ionacraig) November 07, 2012
A White House spokesman did not respond to a request for comment. If it were a American strike, of course, it would have to have been authorized by Obama.
Whatever its provenance, the strike served as a macabre reminder of the burdens that Obama faces as he turns his attention away from the campaign and back to the business of being commander in chief.
Obama faces any number of perilous foreign policy and national security challenges with the potential to wreak havoc perhaps greater than any of the domestic issues he must navigate.
- Doug Wead- Rand Paul for President: 2016 | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- What Is It Like to Be Hit By a Drone Strike | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Karl Rove vs. Fox News | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Many Accomplishments Of President Obama… | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Obama May Levy Carbon Tax to Cut U.S. Deficit, HSBC Says | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- How Team Obama Justifies the Killing of a 16-Year-Old American | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- We Are Change: Honest Opinions of Obama Supporters on his Policies | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Liberty Candidates Already Eyeing White House In 2016 | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul foresees 2012 outcome: Status Quo Will Win | JCTV | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- After Obama win, U.S. backs new U.N. arms treaty talks | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)