THE JEENYUS CORNER
(FITSNews) – One day before S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley belatedly informed the people of South Carolina about the biggest security breach in state history, FITS reported on the termination of a high level staffer at the S.C. Department of Revenue (SCDOR) – the agency that coughed up 3.6 million Social Security numbers, nearly 400,000 credit and debit card numbers and untold other information to hackers allegedly associated with a sophisticated Eastern European crime ring.
But is the forced resignation of SCDOR chief information officer Mike Garon – first reported in one of our “wire” posts - somehow connected to this unprecedented breach?
More to the point … is Garon the “inside man?” Meaning were his credentials used by the hackers as part of their plot to gain access to this information?
SCDOR officials are denying any like between Garon and the breach, according to WLTX TV 19 (Columbia, S.C. – CBS). Also information from our sources suggests that Garon – who made more than $108,000 a year (not counting benefits) – was fired as a result of his connection to an unrelated scandal.
According to our tipster, Garon was “escorted out of his job and the building at the (S.C.) Department of Revenue” on September 26 – about two weeks before the breach was detected the agency.
Why was he sacked? In a follow-up email, our source alleges that Garon was part of a corrupt ring of bureaucrats that was profiting from the awarding of information technology contracts to specific vendors. This scam – which dates back several years – was first unearthed about eighteen months ago, at which point an internal SCDOR investigation into Garon’s activities was launched.
“In the most corrupt agencies, these guys just bought the business, but in no agency was it worse than (SCDOR),” our source says.
- Hacker Takes Millions of SC Citizens’ Personal Info | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- The Many Accomplishments Of President Obama… | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Nikki Haley: ‘I Want Him Slammed Against a Wall” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Teen, Described as a Pacifist, Shot By Police Sniper In Georgia | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Think There’s a Difference? Taxes go up in 2013 for 163 million workers no matter who wins election | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- FITSNEWS REPORTS: Nikki Haley To Hold Conference Call For Lawmakers After Security Breach | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Bloomberg Says Prisoners Will be Abandoned While City Evacuates | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Media Bizarrely Claims Looting in Aftermath of Hurricanes is a “Myth” | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Traffic ticket inspires South Carolina woman to lose more than 200 pounds | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- “Stand Down”: SEISMIC REVELATION ABOUT BENGHAZI TERRORIST ATTACK GOES LARGELY UNREPORTED | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)