SOUTH CAROLINA’S GOVERNOR SAYS SHE WANTS PERSON RESPONSIBLE TO BE “BRUTALIZED”
THE JEENYUS CORNER
Columbia, SC (WLTX) – Governor Nikki Haley is promising major changes to the state’s cyber security in the wake of a hacking that compromised millions of South Carolinians personal data.
A clearly irritated Haley spoke at a news conference Friday afternoon alongside federal and state agency leaders who investigated the hack.
“This is not a good day for South Carolina,” Haley said.
State Law Enforcement Division Chief Mark Keel said the hacker too 3.6 million South Carolina Social Security numbers and 387,000 credit card numbers. Just 16,000 of the credit card numbers, though, weren’t encrypted; none of the Social Security numbers were encrypted.
Haley promised to respond with a large scale plan to deal with the state’s cyber security. She issued an executive order Friday that calls for greater coordination between state agencies. She wants the leaders of the departments to give documentation and reports to the state inspector general, and he will recommend new security protocols for the state.
For individuals, Haley is asking them to call a special hotline to get help on how they can protect themselves from potential identity theft.
“South Carolina has never been a victim of anything, and we’re not going to start now,” she said.
Haley said she knew the foreign country where the attacked originated, but did not reveal it because it may have hindered law enforcement’s investigation. But she said the state would aggressively pursue the person and bring him to justice.
“I want that man just brutalized,” she said. “I want him slammed against the wall.”
She said there will be a cost of the extra security and the crediting services being offered to the public, but at this point, that doesn’t matter as much.
“Whatever it takes to do this we will do.”
- “Boss Hog” Gets Hog-Tied By The State Senate Ethics Committee | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Hacker Takes Millions of SC Citizens’ Personal Info | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Open Letter to All South Carolina News Papers and TV Stations | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- South Carolina sheriffs offering amnesty for explosives | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- GOP Convention: 21 Facts about Nikki Haley (charlestoncitypaper.com)
- Millions of social security numbers stolen from SC agency (ireport.cnn.com)
- The Many Accomplishments Of President Obama… | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Sweetheart Business Deals Bad For South Carolina | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- 3.6 million social security numbers exposed in unprecedented South Carolina cyber attack (theverge.com)
- Who Picks Judges in South Carolina? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)