THE JEENYUS CORNER
Almost 2,400 people who received unemployment insurance in 2009 lived in households with annual incomes of $1 million or more, according to the Congressional Research Service.
The report was released after about 1.1 million people exhausted their jobless benefits during the second quarter of 2012, when more than 4.6 million filed initial unemployment claims. Eliminating those payments to high earners is one idea being considered as U.S. lawmakers struggle to curb a projected $1.1 trillion deficit for the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30, with the nationwide jobless rate at 8.1 percent.
“Sending millionaires unemployment checks is a case study in out-of-control spending,” U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, an Oklahoma Republican, said in an e-mail. “Providing welfare to the wealthy undermines the program for those who need it most while burdening future generations with senseless debt.”
The 2,362 people in millionaire homes represent 0.02 percent of the 11.3 million U.S. tax filers who reported unemployment insurance income in 2009, according to the August report. Another 954,000 households earning more than $100,000 during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression also reported receiving unemployment benefits.
The reported benefits may include those received by spouses or dependents of people who made high incomes, or benefits received earlier in the year before a household member got a high-paying job.
Eliminating the federal share of unemployment benefits for millionaires would save $20 million in the next decade, the congressional researchers said in their report.
- Should Millionaires Get Unemployment? (abcnews.go.com)
- Is Anyone on TBP Surprised By This (theburningplatform.com)
- Almost 2,400 U.S. Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits (bloomberg.com)
- Almost 2,400 Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits (engineeringevil.com)
- The Thirst: New Report Reveals That Almost 2,400 Money Hungry Millionaires Pocketed Unemployment Benefits In 2009 (bossip.com)
- Suffer The Millionaires (sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com)
- Almost 2,400 people who received unemployment insurance in 2009 lived in households with annual incomes of $1 million or more, according to the Congressional Research Service. (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- Yes, 2,362 Millionaires Got Unemployment Checks in 2009 (theatlantic.com)
- Bernanke To Congress: Stay Out Of My Business! | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Millionaires on the dole: 2,400 received unemployment insurance in 2009 (nj.com)