As reported by ABC affiliate WCVB in Boston, “The Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation issued a strongly worded statement Wednesday, denouncing the actions of staffers and supporters of the Sen. Scott Brown campaign, who were shown in a YouTube video [shown below] chanting Indian “war whoops” and making “tomahawk chops” during a rally for the Republican senator earlier in the week in Boston.”
The video shows 5 of Sen. Brown’s staff members and supporters mocking Native Americans with hoots and gestures such as a means of taunting Brown’s opponent in the upcoming election, Elizabeth Warren. The participants in the video were later identified as Sen. Brown’s deputy chief of staff, his constituents services counsel, his state director for Massachusetts, his special assistant and a Massachusetts State Republican political operative.
Here is the full statement by the Cherokee Nation:
The Cherokee Nation is disappointed in and denounces the disrespectful actions of staffers and supporters of Massachusetts Sen. Scott Brown. The conduct of these individuals goes far beyond what is appropriate and proper in political discourse. The use of stereotypical “war whoop chants” and “tomahawk chops” are offensive and downright racist. It is those types of actions that perpetuate negative stereotypes and continue to minimize and degrade all native peoples.
The individuals involved in this unfortunate incident are high ranking staffers in both the senate office and the Brown campaign. A campaign that would allow and condone such offensive and racist behavior must be called to task for their actions.
The Cherokee Nation is a modern, productive society, and I am blessed to be their chief. I will not be silent when individuals mock and insult our people and our great nation.
We need individuals in the United States Senate who respect Native Americans and have an understanding of tribal issues. For that reason, I call upon Sen. Brown to apologize for the offensive actions of his staff and their uneducated, unenlightened and racist portrayal of native peoples.
- More on race in Massachusetts (mhasegawa.com)
- Cherokee Nation Demands Scott Brown Apologize For ‘Downright Racist’ Taunts (inprisonedwomen.wordpress.com)
- Principal Chief Of The Cherokee Nation Condemns Scott Brown Staffers (lezgetreal.com)
- Chief Of Cherokee Nation Blasts Brown Staffers: ‘Downright Racist’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Cherokee Nation Demands Scott Brown Apologize For ‘Downright Racist’ Taunts (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Cherokee Nation chief condemns Scott Brown staff for ‘downright racist’ actions (dailykos.com)
- Cherokee Nation Chief Denounces Scott Brown’s ‘Racist’ Staffers (towleroad.com)
- Cherokee Nation Demands Scott Brown Apologize For ‘Downright Racist’ Behavior (colorlines.com)
- Cherokee Nation calls actions of staff ‘offensive’ and ‘racist’ (wcvb.com)
- Cherokee Group Chief Angry Over Brown Staffers’ War Whoops Has Liberal Ties (usnews.com)