UPDATE: Since the writing of this article, the New York Times has reported that several militia headquarters have been swept in protest over the killing of US Ambassador Christopher Stevens, including that of Ansar al-Sharia, a group linked to the Sept. 11 attacks that resulted in Stevens’ death.
Yeah, I’m having a hard time wagging my finger and making the liberal whine of “Violence isn’t the answer!” Screw that! Drive those pieces of dirt into the dirt! Via RT:
Hundreds of Libyan pro-government demonstrators have stormed the HQ of a radical Salafist group, driving the militiamen out of their last major stronghold in Benghazi. At least four people were killed and 20 wounded in the fighting.
The clashes with Islamists from the Ansar al-Sharia group occurred as tens of thousands took to the streets to rally against militias on Friday.
The protesters want the anti-government militias to disarm because they pose and clear and present danger to society. Obviously, according to conservatives, this would be the first steps to tyranny. This ignores the reality that you cannot reason with fundamentalists. You cannot appease them. You cannot work with them. You cannot reach an accommodation with them. Radical fundies cannot compromise; it’s their way or bloodshed. The only reason Christian fundie militias don’t do exactly what their Islamic counterparts do is because we, as a people, will not tolerate it and they know they would be hunted down. It’s extremely gratifying to see that Libyans who want their hard-won democracy to solidify and work, are fighting against the fundamentalist cancer in their midst.
It will be interesting to see how (or if) this is reported here in America. It won’t play well with the “Libyans are ingrates” or “All Muslims are radicals” narrative that we’ve built up.
Go take a look at the pictures in the link. Seeing regular people wearing Nike t-shirts and sandals fighting for their freedom from crazed radicals is jarring but heartening nonetheless.
- Fed-Up Muslims Attack Islamic Fundamentalists In Libya (addictinginfo.org)
- Libya Warned US Three Days Before Consulate Attack | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Libyan protesters storm militia bases leaving 2 dead (cbc.ca)
- UPDATE 4-Libyan Islamist militia swept out of Benghazi bases – Reuters (in.reuters.com)
- Libyans Hit Militia After Attack (foxnews.com)
- ‘Muslim rage’ turns against Libya’s jihadist militia. So much for lazy stereotypes of fanatical Arabs (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Benghazi Reelects Obama (slog.thestranger.com)
- Six Libyan forces ‘executed’ in Benghazi (bigpondnews.com)
- Libyan Islamist militia swept out of Benghazi bases (independent.co.uk)
- Libyan protesters try to overrun militia base in Benghazi – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)