When many people listen to the entertainers I call, the “pied pipers of the Right” they genuinely believe that what they are hearing is the “truth”. An honest view point to counter what is widely thought to be the Leftist bias contained in the mainstream media. To a large extent, there is fact to this assertion. However, all good lies need to be couched in some truth in order to be effective.
What you get in these programs is merely one side of the argument in a dialectical control grid designed to funnel public anger into safe channels which do not actively challenge the power structure. As Professor Noam Chomsky explained:
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.”
Today I was unavoidably subjected to the Rush Limbaugh program. As the host took a call on the Federal Reserve’s recent announcement of it’s purchase of Mortgage Backed Securities, it was a teachable moment, to say the least. Foremost was the host’s poor grasp of the subject. For the self titled “smartest man in America” I was a little shocked. Really, Rush: you don’t understand how the Fed works?
Then it dawned on me.
He knows damn well how the Fed works. He just can’t explain in a way sufficient to maintain the illusion.
You see, either side of the false Left/Right paradigm is perfectly allowed to debate with each other over personalities and policy. And they do this ad-infinitum. What they are never permitted to do is show a third path. To the system, we can forever blame bad ideas or bad people. But you may never, ever question that it is the very system itself that is to blame.
What if Rush had said to the caller:
“The Fed’s printing of money is politically inspired yes. But the real question is: why does a supposedly free people, in a representative democracy, allow an unaccountable private cartel the sole monopoly on the issuance of currency, and thus control over the economy”?
If Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity or Mark Levin were one tenth of the patriots they claim themselves to be, they would be pointing this out instead of screaming about Obama’s latest crime against their sensibilities.
Once you understand this, you will never listen to them the same way again.
- Limbaugh: Penises now ’10 percent smaller’ and shrinking because of ‘feminazis’ (rawstory.com)
- Sean Hannity’s Head-to-Head With Democratic Strategist: ‘You Are Like a Brain-Dead Zombie’ (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Rush Limbaugh – Rush Limbaugh needs to be reprimanded (usaconsumercomplaints.com)
- Limbaugh Hammers NBC For Not Airing Obama’s ‘Redistribution,’ Despite White House Authentication (mediaite.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Maybe Al Qaeda Gave Up Osama To Help Obama Win Re-Election (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Al-Qaeda ‘Gave Up Osama Bin Laden’ To Make ‘Obama Look Good’ (mediaite.com)
- David Axelrod wants Mitt Romney to denounce Rush Limbaugh (twitchy.com)
- Ice-T Responds To Rush Limbaugh’s Rant – “I’m Also A Veteran” (allhiphop.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Why Mitt’s ‘Gaffe’ Isn’t a ‘Gaffe’ At All (youviewedblog.wordpress.com)
- Rush Limbaugh – Rush Limbaugh Insists ‘dark Knight Rises’ Is An Attack On Mitt Romney (contactmusic.com)