Ezra Van Auken
A little over a day ago, the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya was stormed by militants and torched, overall resulting in the death of a United States ambassador to Libya, two marines and three staffers as well as leaving 12 to 17 wounded. Reports remain unclear as to how attackers got inside United States’ grounds.
One of the alleged attackers who only gave the name “Hamam” commented on the incident explaining, “We started shooting at them, and then some other people also threw hand-made bombs over the fences and started the fires in the buildings,” reported by Reuters. This story runs against what CBS published, which Libya’s Deputy Interior Minister explained that consulate security guards worked along side militants to allow safe access.
Regardless, one thing is clear, the US is taking more measures inside Libya because of the consulate attack. Hours after the assault, FoxDC reported that the Pentagon had called on 50 Marines to be deployed as a part of the “Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team” or FAST, who are trained for rapid response situations capable of providing security in any area. Following these Marines will be two US warships and/or destroyers, which will also provide more assistance. (USS Laboon and USS McFaul)
Not only were soldiers deployed or are in route to deploy, but drones are being used over Libya due to the attacks on US officials as well. However, many Americans believe that by putting more government force and military intervention into Libya will only anger the militant forces more, who want the US to leave. “A senior US official tells CNN that US unmanned surveillance drones are expected to begin flying over Benghazai and other locations in eastern Libya to look for jihadi encampments and targets that may be tied to the attack on US State Department personnel.
The proposal for use of drones is expected to be approved shortly by the Pentagon and the White House, CNN’s Pentagon Correspondent Barbara Starr reported. The official said the plan is for US surveillance drones to gather the intelligence and then hand it off to the Libyans to strike the targets.”
- US deploying warships to Libyan coast (gonzoj.wordpress.com)
- US deploying warships to Libyan coast (rt.com)
- Marines Sent to Libya After Murder of Ambassador | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- RT: US deploying warships to Libyan coast (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- U.S. deploys drones, destroyers in hunt for killers of Americans in Libya (cnn.com)
- Al-Qaeda Murders U.S. Ambassador and Staff in Libya | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- U.S. dispatches troops to Libya (thehindu.com)
- Was U.S. Ambassador Lynched? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- These Two Warships Are On The Way To Libya (businessinsider.com)
- Rocks, Molotov cocktails mix with tear gas at U.S. missions (cnn.com)