Ethan A. Huff
There is a reason why those radiant, pink salmon filets and juicy, golden chicken breasts in the meat case at the grocery store typically appear unusually appetizing — but it often has nothing to do with the natural colorings of these animals’ flesh. It might come as a surprise to many readers, but conventional salmon, chicken, and various other meats are often artificially dyed to give the illusion that they are healthier and more nutritious than they really are.
It turns out that 95 percent of the Atlantic salmon sold in stores is farm-raised, and that the vast majority of this farmed salmon is artificially dyed to look more similar to wild salmon. Pharmaceutical giant Hoffman-La Roche is a major producers of pink dyes specifically used in farmed salmon pellets, also known as processed salmon food, which obviously turns salmon flesh more pink.
But instead of being composed of the natural salmon antioxidant astaxanthin (http://www.naturalnews.com/Files/Astaxanthin.pdf), the deceptive pink color found in farmed salmon is nothing more than a synthetic color chemical known as “Carophyll” that is designed to look like astaxanthin and other natural salmon colorings. Hoffman-La Roche and others actually have a salmon color chart known as “SalmoFan” that allows salmon farmers to pick the shade of pink they want added to their salmon food, much in the same way that one would pick a wall paint color using color tiles at the hardware store. (http://www.puresalmon.org/human_health.html)
For those with a trained eye, it is fairly obvious that farmed salmon is not the same as wild salmon, as the former is typically a duller pink color and lacks the vibrant rose color that is characteristic of wild salmon. But if it were not for the artificial color additives chosen from the SalmoFan, farmed salmon would likely not even be pink at all, but rather a disgusting gray color that nobody would dare purchase.
- Your Salmon Isn’t Really Salmon Colored! (wycd.cbslocal.com)
- Trend Alert: Smoked Salmon (fabsugar.com)
- Debbie McCord-Skousen: Romney Family Ties To Communist Former Soviets | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Salmon farming research backed (stuff.co.nz)
- HealthWatch: Pink Chemical In Salmon, Flamingos May Be Powerful Supplement (sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com)
- Fears salmon farms may destroy NZ image (radionz.co.nz)
- $880m benefit from more salmon farms (radionz.co.nz)
- Chemist declares fluoride to be ‘one of the greatest public health threats of modern times’ | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Salmon Skin, the Latest Trend in the Fashion Industry (prweb.com)
- Salmon Recipes, Smoked Salmon & Smoked Salmon Platter | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)