Village Voice Blog
September 9, 2012
As we all know, Tuesday marks the 11th anniversary of the World Trade Center attacks – more than a decade has passed since the day that will forever live in New York and America’s memories. Over time, the City has undergone a long and arduous process of moving on from the terrible events that occurred that day. Unfortunately, this recovery has been tainted with one of mankind’s worst illnesses: politics.
In a report released yesterday by the New York Times, just in time for the anniversary, our attention returns to the dispute over the seven-floors-below-ground 9/11 Museum that hit headlines a few years back. The problem here is pretty basic: who in the world is going to pay the nearly $1 billion tab? But this controversy has all the necessary ingredients for a classic political meltdown.
Here’s what’s wrong:
Mayor Bloomberg sits as Chairman of 9/11 Museum Committee; he is in charge of directing funds for the site and has already raised millions (he donated $15 million himself; the rest is from private donations, totaling around $450 million so far). And his term ends after 2013, which means the Mayor has set himself up with a deadline to get one of his administration’s largest projects done on time.
- Dispute delays 9/11 museum (smh.com.au)
- Financial dispute further delays opening of 9/11 museum (content.usatoday.com)
- Official impasse delays opening of 9/11 museum (mysanantonio.com)
- Bloomberg-Cuomo Dispute Delays Opening of Sept. 11 Museum (nytimes.com)
- Reported Struggle Between Mayor, Governor Delays 9/11 Museum Opening (manhattan.ny1.com)
- Tourists ‘showing disrespect at Ground Zero memorial’ ahead of 9/11 anniversary – Telegraph.co.uk (telegraph.co.uk)
- Op-Ed: An Open Letter to NYC Mayor Bloomberg Calls him Out on Key Issues (gestetnerupdates.com)
- John Lott: What Mayor Bloomberg Doesn’t Know About Police and Guns (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Museum A No-Show For 9/11 Anniversary (wibw.com)
- Bloomberg’s Rampant Totalitarianism, And Stopping Its Spread (personalliberty.com)