Call them “extreme hoarders …” just don’t expect to see their exploits exposed on your television set anytime soon.
South Carolina state agencies entered the current fiscal year holding onto $166 million in surplus general fund revenues, according to data compiled by the S.C. Comptroller General’s office and published this week by The Nerve, a local blog. The actual surplus total is likely much higher than that seeing as the Comptroller’s office doesn’t calculate surpluses in federal funding earmarked for state agencies or surpluses from “other funds,” i.e. money collected from Palmetto taxpayers in the form of fees, fines and other assessments.
And of course in addition to all that money the state’s eighty-five public school districts are currently sitting on an estimated $1 billion in cash reserves – with county governments sitting on hundreds of millions more.
So are any of South Carolina’s mainstream media outlets – you know, the outlets always bitching and moaning about “budget cuts” – covering this story? Of course not …
State spending has soared from an estimated $20.8 billion two years ago to at least $23.3 billion this year – a $2.5 billion increase. Some estimates push the two-year spending hike even higher.
Amazingly, despite rising unemployment and shrinking income levels among Palmetto State citizens, “Republican” Gov. Nikki Haley and the “GOP-controlled” S.C. General Assembly refuse to send any of this new money back to the taxpayers. Instead, they have pumped literally every penny of it into additional government growth.
- SC legislator to go to court in tax evasion case | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- South Carolina Grassroots Organizations Call for Real Reform | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul’s Rally: The Event That Could Give Birth To A New Party | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Former police chief: ‘I had a Judas in my camp’ | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Jeenyus Corner Nightly News: July 8th. 2012- DEBUT EPISODE! (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul Left Tampa Yesterday. TSA harassed the good Doc and family | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- End of the GOP? | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- State Agencies Swimming in Budget Surpluses (thenerve.org)
- Hacker holds Romney tax returns ransom for $1M in Bitcoins | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Democrats reinstate platform language on Jerusalem | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)