A day after Ron Paul and his supporters held a boisterous pre-convention rally, Paul Ryan told Fox News that he thinks Paul’s backers should ultimately “be very comfortable with us” — as he downplayed any divisions the Republican ticket might have with the libertarian-leaning former presidential candidate.
“We see eye to eye on a lot of issues and believe in some … limited government,” Ryan told Fox News. “We believe in academic freedom. We believe in the founding principles. We believe that this is a watershed moment for America, whether or not we’re going to reclaim the American idea or we’re going to become, you know, a cradle-to-the-grave welfare state, which is where I think the president is taking us.”
Watch the latest video at &lt;a href=”http://video.foxnews.com”&gt;video.foxnews.com&lt;/a&gt;Watch the full interview on “Special Report with Bret Baier” on Fox News at 6 p.m. ET Monday.
Ryan addressed the tension with Paul supporters after the Texas congressman held a counter-convention rally in Tampa Sunday attended by thousands. At the rally, Paul accused the GOP establishment of “failing” the country.
Ryan, though, noted that he and Paul have served together for years in the House and suggested he wasn’t anticipating any problems.
“So I think, in the final analysis, Ron is clearly going to — he and his supporters should be very comfortable with us,” Ryan said. “Ron is a friend of mine. I’ve known him a long time in Congress.”
Ryan, who is 42, also addressed the matter of his age and what it says about his level of experience.
“We’ve had plenty of presidents in their 40s and vice presidents in their 40s,” he said. “I’ve been in Congress 14 years. I have more experience than President Obama did coming into office.”
- Ron Paul’s Rally: The Event That Could Give Birth To A New Party | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Paul says his backers will ‘become the GOP tent’ | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ron Paul Passing Torch to a Libertarian Legion | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Not Just A Man: Ron Paul is an idea whose time has come – PAULFEST | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Kokesh Barred From Ron Paul Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Over 10,000 supporters brave Tropical Storm Isaac to see Ron Paul speak at USF | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- C-SPAN to cover Ron Paul’s We Are the Future Rally | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- VIDEO: Jesse Benton calls Grassroots ran PaulFestival “A Fringe Element”, wishes it would go away | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney’s Convention Power Play: Sununu Evades Ron Paul Delegates To Avoid Floor Fight | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Laura Trice: Why the GOP Is Scared of Ron Paul and 4 Reasons He Might Still Get the 2012 Republican Nomination | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)