New York (CNN) — On a busy Friday morning in Manhattan, nine pedestrians suffered bullet or fragment wounds after police unleashed a hail of gunfire at a man wielding a .45 caliber pistol who had just killed a former co-worker.
The officers unloaded 16 rounds in the shadow of the Empire State Building at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities said.
Three passersby sustained direct gunshot wounds, while the remaining six were hit by fragments, according to New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. All injuries were caused by police, he said Saturday.
One officer shot nine rounds and another shot seven.
Police identified the gunman as Jeffrey Johnson, 58, who was apparently laid off from his job as a designer of women’s accessories at Hazan Import Co. last year.
Johnson, who served in the U.S. Coast Guard in the mid-1970s, had two rounds left in his pistol. It holds eight, Kelly said.
- BEST OF THE WEB: Hysterical Police Wounded New York Shooting Victims (sott.net)
- Police: All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers (myfox8.com)
- Police: All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers (fox13now.com)
- Questions raised after SEAL’s identity revealed | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- All 9 Wounded at Empire State Building Shot By Police (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Jeffrey Johnson Identified as Empire State Building Shooting Suspect (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Gunman kills 1, wounds 8 at Empire State Building (charlotte.news14.com)
- Empire State Survivors Wounded by Police (fox8.com)
- Video Shows Shooting Outside Empire State Building (WARNING: Graphic) (huffingtonpost.com)