August 25, 2012
Federal officials say unmanned drones will not be patrolling downtown’s skies and streets during next week’s Republican National Convention.
A Naples company planned to outfit small unmanned helicopters and ground vehicles with cameras and operate them on behalf of unnamed government agencies during the convention, according to a report that ran in the Tampa Tribune on Friday and on its website, TBO.com.
The part of the story about aerial drones patrolling the RNC is “completely inaccurate,” Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown said.
- Send in the Drones to Tampa for the RNC (news.firedoglake.com)
- Agencies: Drones won’t fly at RNC (tbo.com)
- Drones to patrol skies over Republican convention (stripes.com)
- Brit brother: Unmanned drones to watch over UK (rt.com)
- GOP Convention Security Preparations Include Use of a Drone (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Government Documents Prove Domestic Drones Are For Spying On Americans | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)