**Jeenyus Note: This comment was made in the Anderson County Republican Party’s Facebook page By: Susan Bridges Aiken
I would like to extend my thanks and sincere gratitude to Susan and Drew for their willingness to stand for what’s right.
-Marshall D. Culpepper | The Jeenyus Corner-
TAMPA — The Republican National Convention Rules Committee voted 63-38 to approve a new rule allowing granting the Republican National Committee — and Mitt Romney — sweeping new powers to amend the governing document of the GOP.
The move came at the encouragement of Mitt Romney supporters on the committee, including Romney’s top lawyer Ben Ginsberg, who stressed that it would grant “flexibility” to Romney and the committee to adapt to changing political environments. The rule allows the RNC to amend the party’s rules without a vote by the full Republican National Convention. And it offers the Republican Establishment a new tool to keep at by Tea Party initiatives that threaten to embarrass or contradict party leadership and stray from a planned message.
Romney, as his party’s nominee, exerts significant influence over the RNC, which is made up of elected party officials from all 50 states, while the larger Convention Rules Committee is larger and has a more grassroots membership.
“This is necessary for the world in which we find ourselves in,” Ginsberg told the committee, adding that it is “important for the political survival of the party in the electoral context,” for the committee to be able to change the rules as it sees fit in the intervening four years between conventions.
Virginia delegate and RNC member Morton Blackwell strenuously objected to the proposed rule change, calling it “the most awful proposed amendments I’ve seen presented to this committee.”
- Romney Executes Republican Party Power Grab (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- RNC Passes Rule Giving Itself Power To Change Any Rule Without Delegate Vote (dailypaul.com)
- Fraud and Intimidation Expected In Tampa: Delegates Say No Fair Play | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney May Be Nominated Early | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- RNC attempts to make Ron Paul ineligible for Republican nomination | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Romney lawyers took away Ron Paul’s win in Maine making Paul ineligible | THE JEENYUS CORNER (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Ann Romney to speak on Tuesday at RNC (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Florida to face stiffer RNC penalties if it moves up primary date again (miamiherald.com)