By Kevin Matthews
New York City police shot a dog in the head on Tuesday, reports Gothamist. The pit bull named Star was believed to be protecting her owner as he had a seizure on the sidewalk. When officers came to address the emergency situation, Star ran at them for getting too close to her ailing companion, and they responded by firing a pair of bullets at her.
The gruesome scene attracted a sizeable crowd. Some bystanders cried, while others shouted at the officers for mishandling the situation. More officers arrived on the scene to control the crowd. All the while, Star bled on the street, flopping in pain, while her owner, known to friends as Pollock, lay unconscious on the ground, similarly unattended.
A witness uploaded a video to Youtube that shows how the scene unfolds. Please be aware that the clip is both upsetting and graphic. The video contains footage of Star being shot and writhing in pain.
- Here’s An Absolutely Brutal Video of the NYPD Shooting a Dog Trying to Protect His Owner [Video] (gawker.com)
- A dog who survived NYPD officer’s gunshots (avesom.com)
- PHOTO: NYPD Officers Shoot Dog Protecting Owner Who ‘Passed Out’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- New York cop shoots dog as it guards stricken owner – video (theweek.co.uk)
- VIDEO: People Sobbing for Dog Shot by NYPD Yet Ignore Man in Need of Urgent Medical Help (gestetnerupdates.com)