The Tarrant County jury decided on the sentence for Brittni Nicole Colleps, 28, of Arlington after nearly three hours of deliberation. It took jurors less than an hour to find her guilty earlier in the day of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.
The former Kennedale High School English teacher had sex with the students at her home over two months in 2011, authorities said.
Colleps is married and has three children. She turned herself in after a cellphone video of one encounter that involved multiple students emerged. That video was shown at trial.
Three former students who testified Thursday said that they did not consider themselves victims and did not want to see their former English teacher prosecuted. The three were football and track athletes.
Arlington police Detective Jason Houston testified that charges were filed because “18 or not, it’s a crime” for a teacher to have sex with her students.
- Ex-teacher jailed 5 years for student sex (todayonline.com)
- Ex-teacher gets 5-year prison term for student sex – Boston.com (boston.com)
- Ex-teacher gets 5-year prison term for student sex (news.yahoo.com)
- Brittni Nicole Colleps, Texas Teacher, Found Guilty After Group Sex With 5 Students (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ex-teacher gets 5-year prison term for student sex (arabtimesonline.com)