August 1, 2012
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn on Tuesday proposed a state ban on assault weapons in the aftermath of the July 20 movie theater massacre in Colorado in which a former graduatestudent is charged with killing 12 people with guns including a semi-automatic rifle.
Quinn, a Democrat, called himself a “strong supporter” of the constitutional right to bear arms, but said in a letter to state legislators that the proliferation of military-style assault weapons undermines public safety.
“There is no place in the state of Illinois for weapons designed to rapidly fire at human targets at close range,” said Quinn, who also proposed a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.
- Illinois Governor Proposes Assault Weapons Ban (alan.com)
- Illinois governor wants ban on assault-style weapons, high-capacity magazines (capitolhillblue.com)
- Illinois Governor Proposes Assault Weapons Ban (thinkprogress.org)
- Quinn: Time to ban assault weapons in Illinois (qctimes.com)
- Ill. governor seeks ban on assault weapons (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- LIFE AMONG THE BARBARIANS: Illinois Governor Proposes State Assault Weapons Ban. “Illinois could b… (pjmedia.com)
- Quinn calls for IL to ban assault weapons (illinoisreview.typepad.com)
- Quinn proposes ban on assault weapons (galesburg.com)
- Illinois governor wants ban on assault weapons (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- WELL DONE, MITT! As Governor Of Mass, Romney Banned The Assault Weapon Used In The Colorado Massacre (businessinsider.com)