by Ezra Van Auken
Since the late-night shooting spree at Century 16 in Aurora, there has been a mountain of information revealed about James Holmes. Shockingly, information reported Monday by USAToday.com could provide some clue as to how Holmes afforded the firearms.
According to Aurora PD police scanners, when police detained Holmes the officers recovered a Smith and Wesson AR-15, one Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun and a Glock .40-caliber pistol. All of these weapons were purchased legally in the state of Colorado; on May 22nd was Holmes’ first purchase, which consisted of the Glock pistol. About a week later, the killer’s next buy was a 12-gauge shotgun, followed by a military rifle.
An image published by the Denver Post details exact locations he bought weapons including Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain in Thornton and Denver. Gander Mountain lists a stock AR-15 for $729.00 and the Glock handgun around 600 dollars. Although the exact type of Remington 870 remains unclear, most models are between $319.00 and $600.00. Overall, the total cost for Holmes’s arms supply is around $1,500-$2,000, a hefty price not including the military-style gear and explosives inside Holmes’ apartment.
In fact, according to law enforcement, over a four-month period James Holmes had fifty packages delivered to his apartment and college. Although authorities remain unclear of how Holmes was equipped with aforesaid explosives materials. One thing is clear; the final sum of money used in this plot was expensive.
USAToday, however, has released information on funds that the serial killer received and reports might surprise you. Mr. Holmes obtained a federal grant from the US government and University of Colorado, which paid Holmes $26,000 dollars a year. James was one of six students to receive this “reward”, which was granted to him last fall. Although grant money has not been tracked, the funding gave Holmes an estimated $500 a week.
The twenty-four year old was unemployed and resided in an 800 square foot apartment, leading many to question how else could have James Holmes afforded not only the guns but gear, explosives and ammunition?
- Aurora: Where Did an Unemployed Grad Student get that kind of Disposable Income? (zen-haven.dk)
- The Weaponry James Holmes Used: AR15, GLock 40 Cal, Remington 870 (themoderatevoice.com)
- Colorado gunman’s hit rate suggests much practice, officials say – Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- Colorado Shooter had Arsenal of Weapons (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- Aurora Gunman’s Lethal Arsenal (nytimes.com)
- Colorado Theater Shooter Carried 4 Guns, All Obtained Legally (newsfeed.time.com)
- AURORA Shooting: Asking the Right Questions (zionistoutrage.com)
- A closer look at the guns that James Holmes allegedly used (abc4.com)
- Virginia Tech shooting survivor: It is beyond time to talk about gun control (rawstory.com)
- AURORA: Asking the Right Questions (whitenewsnow.com)