In the hours, days and weeks ahead, we can expect a concerted attack on the right to own firearms and the Second Amendment in response to the shooting in Colorado last night. Proponents of disarming the public will argue that restricting the right to own firearms will prevent mass murders and violence.
But here’s something they will not tell you: the chance you will be a victim of a mass shooting is at best miniscule.
The proportion of homicide incidents involving two victims has increased slightly from 2.7% in 1980 to 3.7% in 2008.
Homicide incidents involving three or more victims have also increased during this same period, but have remained less than 1% of all homicides each year.
Multiple victim homicides are so small as to be almost insignificant:
- 3.7% involved two victims
- 0.5% involved three victims
- 0.2% involved four victims
- 0.1% involved five or more victims.
Moreover, the homicide rate in the United States has declined sharply in recent years – from 9.3 homicides per 100,000 in 1992 to 4.8 homicides per 100,000 in 2010.
Of course, these figures mean nothing to the gun-grabbers in and out of government who exploit emotional issues for political gain. They will not rest until the Second Amendment is in shambles and you have no way of protecting yourself not only from criminals (who will have illegal guns) but from the very tryanny of government itself.
- Local Gun Violence Victims Remembered At Emotional Memorial (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Homicides, gun crimes up in Warren, township (vindy.com)
- Man faces first degree homicide charge in 14th and Vine shooting (fox6now.com)
- West Philadelphia Residents To Host Peace Walk (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Man fatally shot in Toronto schoolyard (cbc.ca)
- Venezuela Bans Gun Sales Amid Rise In Violent Crime (ibtimes.com)
- Seattle Officials ‘Powerless’ Against Gun Violence (seattleweekly.com)
- Police, city leaders look to tackle Seattle gun violence (komonews.com)
- Mass shooting puts the lie to Toronto’s ‘safe city’ mantra (joeydavid.me)
- Pregnant woman set on fire, boyfriend arrested (azfamily.com)