By Jake Sherman
Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) is trying again to pressure Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to pass a government funding resolution in the next two weeks.
This time, DeMint is joined by 19 other congressional Republicans, including Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Republican Study Chairman Jim Jordan of Ohio.
The idea that Congress should pass a stop-gap funding measure before the August recess has become a familiar refrain from DeMint. He said he wants an early vote to “protect the taxpayers from this premeditated mugging” — referring to Democrats’ insistence that Congress let the high-income tax rates expire.
“The only way to protect the taxpayers from this premeditated mugging is for the House to pass, before the August recess, a fiscally responsible continuing resolution to extend federal operations well into the new year,” the letter read. “Then, Senate Republicans can force a vote on the CR, forcing Democrats to explain – to the American people — why they are seeking a government shutdown crisis. Taking the threat of a government shutdown off the table will allow a serious debate about tax and spending policy before the elections.”
House Republicans are not planning a vote before the August recess on a government funding resolution. They do intend to pass a stop-gap measure in early September.
- Chairman DeMint? (politico.com)
- GOP tries to avert shutdown showdown (politico.com)
- DeMint blocks bill for Lejeune water victims (newsobserver.com)
- Legislation on Lejeune water woes to be pushed forward (kansascity.com)
- Class act: Jim DeMint calls for Nebraska GOP unity (twitchy.com)
- Arizona: Jim DeMint, Pat Toomey Raise Money for Jeff Flake (rollcall.com)
- LOST Will Not Be Ratified This Year, DeMint Says (thenewamerican.com)
- Law of the Sea Treaty now dead, DeMint says (junkscience.com)
- Senator Jim DeMint – 94% of Bills Passed in the Senate are done in SECRECY with NO DEBATE (revolutionarypolitics.tv)
- Jim DeMint launches super Pac (politico.com)