Food geneticists, for example. These technicians have the smarts to tinker with the inner workings of Momma Nature’s own good foods — but not the smarts to leave well enough alone.
In fairness, much of their scientific tinkering has been beneficial. But during the past half-century, too much of their work devolved from tinkering into outright tampering with our food. This is mostly the result of money flowing to both private and public research centers from big agribusiness corporations that want nature’s design altered in ways that fatten their bottom lines. Never mind that the alterations created by these smart people are frequently not good for you and me.
Take the tomato, truly a natural wonder. Agribusiness profiteers, however, wanted it to do unnatural things, so — voila! — the genetic tamperers in the 1960s and ‘70sdutifully produced the Amazing Industrial Tomato. It’s a techno-marvel made to endure long-distance shipping, be harvested while green and then artificially ripened to appear tomato-y red and last an ungodly amount of time without rotting.
But taste? Forget it. There’s more flavor in the carton. This led to the “Upchuck Rebellion” — a grassroots movement of consumers, small farmers and local food artisans. In the last couple of decades, they’ve spurred phenomenal growth in farmers markets and stores that offer nature’s own locally produced and heirloom varieties untouched by the smart ones.
- Hey Monsanto — I Want My Tomatoes From Nature, Not Your Labs (alternet.org)
- Hey Monsanto – I Want My Tomatoes From Nature, Not Your Labs (tleonidas.wordpress.com)
- Gates And Monsanto Go After Raw Milk (jeenyuscorner.com)
- New Film Raises Awareness about Monsanto #stopmonsanto (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- hen You Can’t Afford Your Children | Hightower: Icky Tomatoes from Monsanto | 5 Ways GOP Sabotaged Job Recovery (womensphilanthropy.typepad.com)
- ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ to grant biotech industry total immunity over GM crops? (blacklistednews.com)
- So What’s Wrong with GMO’s? Don’t We Want to Feed the World? (passportdinnersblog.com)
- Senate votes 73 – 26 to deny states the right to label GMO foods (Or, Meet your Monsanto Senators) (americablog.com)
- NaturalNews – Monsanto To Pay $7.5 Billion Settlement To Millions Of Brazilian Soy Farmers – 12 July 2012 (lucas2012infos.wordpress.com)
- Congress OKs GMOs, Monsanto Makes Sure You Can Grow Them at Home (laist.com)