By Olivier Knox
Call it “too much substance, not enough style?” President Barack Obama says his biggest mistake since getting to the White House three and a half years ago has been his tendency to tackle the job as national policy wonk rather than the inspiring figure he cut in the 2008 campaign.
“When I think about what we’ve done well and what we haven’t done well,” the president told CBS television in an interview, “the mistake of my first term – couple of years – was thinking that this job was just about getting the policy right.”
“And that’s important. But the nature of this office is also to tell a story to the American people that gives them a sense of unity and purpose and optimism, especially during tough times,” Obama said in an excerpt of the exchange with Charlie Rose.
Presidents — politicians in general — tend to sidestep questions about their biggest mistake in office, though they sometimes stumble spectacularly over them (as George W. Bush did in April 2004), or offer up a self-serving answer that might be lampooned as “I just love America too much.” Obama seems to be saying that, dagnabbit, he just took the job too gosh-darn seriously. Republicans wasted little time in mocking the answer. Republican National Committee spokesman Tim Miller tweeted “I’d go w/ utter economic failure.”
- Romney, RNC react to Obama’s comments on his biggest mistake – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- Watch Obama Admit The Biggest Mistake Of His Presidency (businessinsider.com)
- Obama Says His Biggest Mistake Has Been Communicating to Public (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- Obama: Communications was my biggest mistake (content.usatoday.com)
- Obama On Biggest Mistake Of His Presidency To CBS: Policy Was Right, Salesmanship Was Lacking (mediaite.com)
- Obama reflects on first term: Mistake to put policy before story of hope, change (thehill.com)
- Obama: I need to do better inspiring (kshb.com)
- Obama’s ‘mistake’: Not enough storytelling (politico.com)
- Romney reportedly raised more than $100 million in June | The Ticket – Yahoo! News (gnosticbent.wordpress.com)
- TRENDING: Obama on the ‘mistake of my first term’ (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)