July 11, 212
Officialdom in Miami-Dade is working with the U.S. Air Force to spray mosquitos.
“This newest round of mosquito control involves a large C-130 cargo plane based in Ohio to spray Homestead ARB and communities of Doral, West Sweetwater, Kendall, Homestead, Florida City and areas east of U.S. 1, where heavy concentrations of mosquitos have been reported,” CBS Miami reports.
While a more or less moribund Posse Comitatus Act forbids the military from participating in state and local police functions, the use of the military in activity that is the responsibility of local government is another example of how the military is being systematically integrated into civilian operations.
The founders harbored a deep antipathy toward standing armies. The Third Amendment to the Constitution deals specifically with the quartering of troops in private homes, but its inclusion in the Bill of Rights reveals the mindset of the founders regarding standing armies.
“A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty,” James Madison wrote. “The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.”
Standing armies “in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the circumstances and protection of the community will admit; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power,” Patrick Henry wrote.
- Spraying for mosquitoes under way in Homestead (local10.com)
- Low Flying Plane Is On A Mosquito Mission (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Spraying underway for mosquitos in Homestead (local10.com)
- The Defence Cuts – Adam Smith’s Perspective (adamcollyer.wordpress.com)
- Army Course Manual Trains Soldiers to Confiscate Constitutionally-protected Firearms (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- Media Dismisses Warning About Tyranny and Troops on the Street as Kooky Conspiracy Theory (federaljack.com)
- NS should stay as 2 years (todayonline.com)
- States warn of larger numbers of mosquitoes (miamiherald.com)
- Mosquitoes Start Summer Attack Early (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Military Viewpoint: We are Six People Away From Revolution (proparanoid.wordpress.com)