July 11, 2012
Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Wednesday dismissed harsher sanctions imposed on Iran this month over its disputed nuclear activity, saying the country was “100 times stronger” than before.
A European Union embargo on Iranian crude oil took full effect on July 1 – a joint effort with the United States to force Tehran to curb nuclear energy work the Western powers say is a camouflaged bid to develop bombs, which Tehran denies.
(…) “The Iranian nation, through life, wealth and loved ones, has stood up to all plots and sanctions and has advanced to the extent that today we are 100 times stronger compared with 30 years ago,” Khamenei told a women’s conference in Tehran in a speech that was published on his official website.
“These days Westerners are being sensational about sanctions but they don’t understand that they themselves vaccinated Iran through their sanctions imposed over the last 30 years,” he said. Iran’s Islamic Revolution a little over three decades ago toppled the U.S.-backed shah.
- West “vaccinated” Iran against sanctions: Khamenei (dailystar.com.lb)
- Iran immune to sanctions: Khamenei (thehindu.com)
- Iran’s top leader: Country ‘immune’ to sanctions – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- Iran is ’100 times stronger’ than before the West imposed harsh sanctions: leader (news.nationalpost.com)
- Top Iranian leader dismisses effect of Western sanctions (timesofisrael.com)
- Iran Warns Local Media Not To Report On Sanctions Impact (rferl.org)
- Iranian supreme leader: Israel is our number one enemy (timesofisrael.com)
- Iranian Supreme Leader says sanctions makes him hate America more. (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Iran’s top leader: Country ‘immune’ to sanctions (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Iran’s top leader: Country ‘immune’ to sanctions (miamiherald.com)