(CNN) — Federal authorities unsealed Monday an indictment charging five men in the death of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry and offering up to $1 million for information leading to the arrest of the four men still at large.
The investigation into the December 2010 killing revealed the existence of a botched federal operation that had sought to investigate U.S.-Mexican arms trafficking and led to the historic vote by the House of Representatives that found U.S. Attorney GeneralEric Holder in contempt of Congress.
The indictment charges Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, Jesus Rosario Favela-Astorga, Ivan Soto-Barraza, Heraclio Osorio-Arellanes and Lionel Portillo-Meza with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, conspiracy to interfere with commerce by robbery, attempted interference with commerce by robbery, carrying and using a firearm during a crime of violence, assault on a federal officer and possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.
A sixth defendant, Rito Osorio-Arellanes, is charged solely with conspiracy to interfere with commerce by robbery.
A federal grand jury in the District of Arizona handed up the 11-count indictment November 7. It alleges that, on December 14, 2010, five of the defendants (Manuel Osorio-Arellanes, Jesus Rosario Favela-Astorga, Ivan Soto-Barraza, Heraclio Osorio-Arellanes and Lionel Portillo-Meza) were involved in a firefight with Border Patrol agents during which Terry was fatally shot.
- $1M Reward Offered In Murder Of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry (wibw.com)
- Five Individuals Charged in Connection with Death of a Customs and Border Protection Border Patrol Agent (salem-news.com)
- Feds unveil indictments in slaying at center of Fast and Furious (cnn.com)
- Reward for 4 fugitives in border agent’s slaying (sfgate.com)
- Indictment for 5 Individuals Involved in Border Agent Killing, May Be Hiding out in Mexico (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Indictment unsealed in Brian Terry shooting, reward offered (twitchy.com)
- White House Admits Brian Terry Was Shooting Beanbags Against Cartel Assault Rifles (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Feds Unseal Indictments in Brian Terry’s Murder (newsy.com)
- Justice unseals indictment charging five in Brian Terry’s death – Fox News (foxnews.com)
- New charges in death of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry (catholicglasses.com)