An admitted militiaman got 41 guns and more than 100,000 rounds of ammunition back from the government Friday.
The guns were confiscated when Thomas Piatek and six other members of the Hutaree militia were arrested in 2009 on charges that they planned to kill police officers and overthrow the government. He was acquitted in March, when a federal judge, Victoria Roberts, found there was insufficient evidence in the case. Piatek and the others then petitioned to get their weapons back.
The implements of destruction — which included an AK-47, handguns, shotguns, crossbows and swords — required two trips to take home, according to TV station WLS.
- Acquitted Militia Members Get 60 Guns Returned (libertarianreview.us)
- Acquitted Militia Members Get 60 Guns Returned (rubinoworld.com)
- AFP PODCAST: The Truth About Hutaree – Part 3 (americanfreepress.net)
- Ohio man cleared in Michigan Hutaree militia case (clickondetroit.com)
- AFP PODCAST: The Truth About Hutaree – Part 2 (americanfreepress.net)
- Final Defendant In The Clear In Hutaree Case (detroit.cbslocal.com)
- FBI returns Hutaree guns (wxyz.com)
- Charges against Michigan Hutaree militia thrown out, All free except 2 (12160.info)
- Suicide bomber kills 7 in Iraq at family gathering in home of pro-government militiaman (vancouverdesi.com)
- Suicide bomber kills seven at family gathering in Iraq (thehindu.com)