By David Kretzmann on October 24th, 2011
Where do we draw the line? When do we stand up and say enough is enough? When will we see the world through the eyes of those whose lands we forcefully manipulate, invade, and occupy?
On October 14, 2011, Abdulrahman Al-awlaki was killed by U.S. airstrikes in Yemen. Al-awlaki was a 16 year old American citizen who was eating dinner with a group of his teenage friends when U.S. airstrikes took their lives. Al-awlaki, born in Denver, Colorado, was the son of Anwar al-Awlaki. Anwar al-Awlaki, of course, was the U.S. citizen suspected (but never prosecuted) of working with Al Qaeda; Awlaki was assassinated by the U.S. on September 30, 2011.
In the days before a CIA drone strike killed al-Qaeda operative Anwar al-Awlaki last month, his 16-year-old son ran away from the family home in Yemen’s capital of Sanaa to try to find him, relatives say. When he, too, was killed in a U.S. airstrike Friday, the Awlaki family decided to speak out for the first time since the attacks.
“To kill a teenager is just unbelievable, really, and they claim that he is an al-Qaeda militant. It’s nonsense,” said Nasser al-Awlaki, a former Yemeni agriculture minister who was Anwar al-Awlaki’s father and the boy’s grandfather, speaking in a phone interview from Sanaa on Monday. “They want to justify his killing, that’s all.”
Abdulrahman Al-awlaki ran away from home to try to find his dad. That’s it. This is a human tragedy, regardless of whether you think the U.S.’s military efforts in the Middle East are justified or not. A society that disregards human life cannot possibly expect to uphold individual liberty.
- The Killing of Anwar Al-Awlaki (intelloverwatch.com)
- Yemen: Strike Kills Terrorist Wanted in USS Cole Attack (foxnews.com)
- Report claims Norwegian trained by al Qaeda in Yemen plans to crash U.S. airline during Olympics (EndtheLie.com)
- White House Gives CIA OK to Bomb Yemen at Will (newser.com)
- Inspire, al-Qaedas English-language magazine, returns without editor Awlaki (democraticunderground.com)
- The 6 Most Disturbing Revelations About Obama’s Drone Strikes (Part 2) (constitutioncampaign.org)
- Airstrike kills senior al-Qaida leader in Yemen (cnsnews.com)
- USS Cole bomber killed in US drone strike in Yemen (longwarjournal.org)
- Obama’s Death Panels: Jeremy Scahill at the Drone Summit (VIDEO) (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- CREW calls on Holder to release secret drone strike memo (rawstory.com)