By Michael Martinez and Natalie Brunell, CNN
Los Angeles (CNN) — The father of a homeless California man who died after being beaten by Fullerton police officers filed a wrongful death lawsuit Thursday against the city, its police chief and the six officers allegedly involved in the fatal incident.
The lawsuit filed by Frederick Ronald Thomas Jr., 55, of Cypress, California, also alleges assault and battery, negligence and civil rights violations in the death of his son, Kelly James Thomas.
The suit, filed in Orange County Superior Court one year after the beating, seeks more than $25,000 in damages.
Homeless man cries for help, his dad in graphic arrest video
Kelly Thomas, 37, a lifelong resident of Fullerton, was shirtless and carrying a backpack, and was wearing long pants and slippers, when Fullerton police were called to investigate a “homeless” man looking in car windows and pulling door handles of parked cars at the city’s bus depot last July 5, the lawsuit said.
A security camera at the downtown bus depot provided 16 minutes of video of the officers questioning and then beating Thomas, who was schizophrenic.
An anniversary vigil was scheduled to be held Thursday evening at the Fullerton depot.
Two of the officers have been charged in the beating death and were ordered in May to stand trial.
GRAPHIC VIDEO OF THE POLICE BRUTALITY
- Father of homeless man beaten to death sues California city’s police (cnn.com)
- Kelly Thomas Lawsuit: Father Ron Thomas Sues Fullerton, CA (huffingtonpost.com)
- Kelly Thomas’ father to file lawsuit on case’s 1-year mark (abclocal.go.com)
- Father sues Calif. city over homeless son’s death (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Father sues Calif. city over homeless son’s death (kansascity.com)
- Father Sues Calif. City Over Homeless Son’s Death (abcnews.go.com)
- Father sues Calif. city over homeless son’s death (mysanantonio.com)
- Father sues Calif. city over homeless son’s death (heraldonline.com)
- Lawsuit Planned On Anniversary Kelly Thomas Case (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- City pays $1 million to mother of homeless man beaten to death by police (cnn.com)