July 3, 2012
The U.S. Navy’s “mothership,” the USS Ponce, will serve as staging platform in the Persian Gulf.
Following a move by Iran to blunt an EU-imposed oil import embargo that went into effect on Sunday, the New York Times reports that the Pentagon has moved “significant military reinforcements” into the Persian Gulf to send a message to Iran’s leadership. The Pentagon announced the new influx of military hardware after Iran responded to the latest round of sanctions on the country.
On Monday, the Iranian parliament drafted a bill to block oil shipments to countries cooperating in sanctions. Ibrahim Agha Mohammadi, a member of the Parliament’s national-security and foreign-policy commission, said the legislation is an “emergency plan to block the strait” following the implementation of additional sanctions.
“What we can look forward to in the coming weeks and months is that the Iranians will make a series of moves, beginning with this bill in the Majlis,” investigative journalist Gareth Porter told Russia Today. Porter speculated that the Iranians may at first place a limited number of mines in the Gulf in order to raise the price of oil and wage economic war on the Western countries currently imposing sanctions in response to Iran’s unsubstantiated nuclear weapons program.
- Iran-U.S. Tensions Rise in Persian Gulf (newsy.com)
- US Boosts Forces in Persian Gulf; Iran Tensions Rise (abcnews.go.com)
- U.S. Adds Forces in Persian Gulf, a Signal to Iran (nytimes.com)
- US signals Iran, sends new forces to the Gulf – MiamiHerald.com (miamiherald.com)
- NYT: US sends ships, planes to Persian Gulf – World news – The New York Times – msnbc.com (2012indyinfo.com)
- Iran tests missiles, renews Hormuz closure threat as EU oil embargo kicks in – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- U.S. Adds Forces in Persian Gulf, a Signal to Iran – NYTimes.com (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Go Ahead Iran – Make Our Day (tmq2.wordpress.com)
- U.S. Sends Large Number of Warships and Planes to Persian Gulf (blacklistednews.com)
- US builds up military assets in Gulf to counter Iran (telegraph.co.uk)