By Candice Leigh Helfand
FOSTER CITY, Calif. (CBS Sacramento) – A new fitness trend appears to be sweeping the nation – one that expressly excludes those on the more slender side of the scale.
Multiple reports have surfaced recently about gyms that cater exclusively to zaftig clients looking to lose weight in a place free of potential judgment from other, smaller patrons.
Though some all-inclusive gyms have attempted in the past to create a safe haven for anyone interested in exercising – for example, Planet Fitness, a national chain of gyms with a “judgment-free” motto and mentality – some creators of obese-only gyms feel it’s not enough.
Fitness facilities throughout the United States and Canada are adopting the obese-only idea in the hopes of removing intimidation from the exercise equation.
- Up to $50 Million from GE Capital to Fuel Growth at Planet Fitness (prweb.com)
- The Judgment Zone: Prejudice and Discrimination Against Bodybuilding (themindmuscleconnection.wordpress.com)
- Video: Child Removal From Home for Obesity Is a Heavy Penalty (blogs.lawyers.com)
- Hundreds line up for chance to become ‘Biggest Loser’ (miamiherald.com)
- Sacramento Muzzles “Occupy” Protestors with Assembly Curfew (blogs.lawyers.com)
- AMA Weighs In On Childhood Obesity (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- NBA Draft 2012: The Sacramento Kings Draft the Opposite of DeMarcus Cousins (bleacherreport.com)
- WATCH: Is This What Obesity Looks Like? (huffingtonpost.ca)
- “Plus-Size People Only”: Gyms Move to Ban Skinny People (washingtonian.com)
- Sacramento man draws 7-year sentence for stalking neighbors (blogs.sacbee.com)