**JEENYUS NOTE: The only reason why this story is being posted is the interesting thought that the cult of Scientology could have been a factor.**
(CNN) — Seven years after Tom Cruise famously jumped on a couch during an “Oprah” taping to declare his love for Katie Holmes, the actor and actress are ending their marriage, Cruise’s attorney said Friday.
Holmes filed for divorce Thursday, according to Cruise’s lawyer Bert Fields.
“Tom is very sad about it and is concentrating on the kids,” Fields said.
Why you think TomKat split
Cruise’s publicist, Amanda Lundberg, confirmed the pending divorce — which was first reported by People, like CNN a division of Time Warner — and urged people to respect “their privacy to work this out.”
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing (popsugar.com)
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorcing (todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com)
- Lawyer: Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes divorcing – CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes Call it Quits (fox4kc.com)
- Report: Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes set to divorce (marquee.blogs.cnn.com)
- Katie Holmes Files For Divorce With Tom Cruise (wreg.com)
- 17 Things Just As Predictable As Katie Holmes And Tom Cruise Divorcing (buzzfeed.com)
- Lawyer: Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes divorcing (cnn.com)
- Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes getting divorced (abclocal.go.com)
- Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorcing (entertainment.inquirer.net)