by MICHAEL HANLON
The world’s first genetically modified humans have been created, it was revealed last night.
The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics.
So far, two of the babies have been tested and have been found to contain genes from three ‘parents’.
Fifteen of the children were born in the past three years as a result of one experimental programme at the Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Science of St Barnabas in New Jersey.
The babies were born to women who had problems conceiving. Extra genes from a female donor were inserted into their eggs before they were fertilised in an attempt to enable them to conceive.
Genetic fingerprint tests on two one-year- old children confirm that they have inherited DNA from three adults –two women and one man.
The fact that the children have inherited the extra genes and incorporated them into their ‘germline’ means that they will, in turn, be able to pass them on to their own offspring.
- World’s First Genetically Modified Babies Born (sott.net)
- World’s First Gm Babies Born (investmentwatchblog.com)
- World’s first GM babies born June 27, 2012 (12160.info)
- World’s first GM babies born (blacklistednews.com)
- World’s 1st GM babies born (wnd.com)
- Transhumanism takes leap: 3 GM human babies born in US (foodfreedomgroup.com)
- World’s First GM Babies Born (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- The disclosure that 30 healthy babies were born after a series of experiments in the United States provoked another furious debate about ethics. (familysurvivalprotocol.com)
- World’s first GM babies born..WTF are they doing? (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- World’s first GM babies born (citizenpatriots.typepad.com)