June 26, 2012
On Monday, Obama sent a letter to the Speaker of the House declaring a national emergency “to deal with the threat posed to the United States by the risk of nuclear proliferation created by the accumulation in the Russian Federation of a large volume of weapons-usable fissile material,” according to a post on the White House website.
Obama cites Executive Order 13159 of June 21, 2000, in the letter. The Clinton era EO declares “that the risk of nuclear proliferation created by the accumulation of a large volume of weapons-usable fissile material in the territory of the Russian Federation constitutes an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and hereby declare a national emergency to deal with that threat.”
The White House initially announced the national emergency on June 18.
- Letter–Russian Highly Enriched Uranium (whitehouse.gov)
- #OBAMA NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED #URANIUM Россия (occupythebanks.com)
- Obama Extends National Emergency Over Russian Nuke Material (en.ria.ru)
- Obama Extends National Emergency Over Russian Nuke Material (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Joint Statement by US President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Russia plans convert 2 nuke reactors to low-enriched uranium fuel (panarmenian.net)
- Iran enriching uranium at fast pace despite Stuxnet: experts (dawn.com)
- Who dares wins: New ideas needed in Iran nuke deadlock (dailystar.com.lb)
- What Next for Iran’s Nuclear Threat after Nuclear Diplomacy Fizzled? (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- New ideas needed in Iran nuke deadlock: analysts (rawstory.com)