Whether Brent Crawford has captured the world’s largest alligator gar will never be known — his scale bottomed out emphatically at 300 pounds and he filleted the prehistoric-looking fish after attempting to obtain its weight.
But this much is clear: The gar Crawford landed while bow-fishing recently in Texas’ Lake Corpus Christie is among the largest specimens ever captured — and it was captured in a manner like no other gar captured beforehand.
(The largest-known alligator gar caught while bow-fishing weighed 365 pounds. The largest caught on rod and reel weighed 279 pounds.)
Crawford, who has lived on the lake for 20 years, was alerted to the presence of several giant gar in a wide canal feeding into the lake: an enormous female swimming with about five smaller males.
His reaction, according to the Corpus Christie Caller Times, was simply: “Oh goodness. That fish right there was worth chasing.”
- Texas fisherman prevails in epic battle with enormous alligator gar (grindtv.com)
- The Alligator-Gar From Texas Lake…Beast (swittersb.wordpress.com)
- alligator gar (reginaldchow1.typepad.com)
- TWRA’s Youth Fishing Rodeo Seeks to Bring a Love of the Outdoors to Clarksville’s Youth (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Barracuda gone wild Fishing with Phil by Jimmy Bass (philfriedmanoutdoors.typepad.com)
- Gar In Our Sights Aboard The Native Sun by Jimmy Bass (philfriedmanoutdoors.typepad.com)
- State: Texas alligator killing wasn’t self-defense (click2houston.com)
- Download River Monsters Movies (anouuuba.typepad.com)
- Fisherman Catches Bass with Bare Hand (wkrg.com)
- “Texas alligator killing wasn’t self-defense” (lawprofessors.typepad.com)