June 21, 2012
Britain came alarmingly close to a dangerous clash with Moscow when David Cameron was asked to consider giving an order to forcibly board a ship headed towards the English Channel carrying three Russian-made helicopters for delivery to the regime in Syria, it emerged today.
Any seizure would have been carried out by members of the Special Boat Service, SBS, the only military unit authorised to performing opposed embarkations at sea. The helicopters are believed to be the same ones that prompted US Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, recently to berate Russia for sending military hardware to Syria.
Officials traveling with the Prime Minister on an official visit to Mexico City yesterday gave the first detailed account of a series of high-level meetings that happened at Whitehall at the end of last week as the authorities tracked the ship, the MV Alead, which was steaming southwards through the North Sea after departing from Leningrad port.
- Tensions between UK and Russia soared over Syria-bound helicopters (independent.co.uk)
- UK Mulled Military Action against Russian Ships carrying Syrian helicopters (theuglytruth.wordpress.com)
- ” Russia Announces It Will Send Warships to Syria Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind! (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Russia confirms cargo ship carrying Syria helicopters (timesofmalta.com)
- Assad to be offered clemency if he joins peace talks… (guardian.co.uk)
- Deadly cargo for Syria blocked off Scots coast (express.co.uk)
- Russia’s Lavrov Confirms Ship Was Carrying Helicopters To Syria (rferl.org)
- Russian Ship Carrying Helicopters To Syria Heads Back Home (ibtimes.com)
- Britain stops Russian ship carrying attack helicopters for Syria (telegraph.co.uk)
- The MV Alead : A high seas drama (alethonews.wordpress.com)