Lab-created artificial species will outnumber natural life 50-to-1, financial firm claims
June 19, 2012
Biotech and other emerging technology is jeopardizing the future of the human race.
In its latest effort, Fidelity Investments is aiming to drive billions of dollars of global finance capital into the emerging field of “synthetic biology”, using promotions and social media (as in its “Follow the Green Line” ad campaign) to raise interest. Fidelity is also trying to take on water shortage issues, “personalized medicine” and has partnered with the TED Talks (along with dozens of other firms) that have become a self-proclaimed authority on where technology is going. For Fidelity, it is part of an effort to bolster the firm’s image as responsible and innovative. But is it?
Just as big money has backed carbon credit schemes and green technology, Fidelity is making a push to back ‘synthetic biology,’ which it says could be the “defining technology of the 21st Century,” though admittedly it is still in the ‘experimental phase’. In essence, synthetic biology is just another buzz term for what has already become the very controversial and dangerous field of biotech & genetic engineering.
For example, scientists have shown that genetically-engineered salmon– hailed below in Fidelity’s promo video as a milestone in innovation– could wipe out the less aggressive natural salmon population within 40 generations. Fidelity also touts the use of GM bacteria to produce new malaria vaccines– part of the larger emerging field of “pharming,” or growing pharmaceutical products inside genetically-modified crops, animals, and microorganisms. For all its potential promises, GMOs have instead been linked with organ failure, infertility and reproductive problems, as well as widespread environmental impact.
- Synthetic Biology (adask.wordpress.com)
- Synthetic Biology: Engineering Open-Source Software with DNA (drchrono.com)
- Amyris Wins $8M from DARPA to Develop Synthetic Biology Tools, Processes (nextbigfuture.com)
- Why Genetically Engineered Food is Dangerous: New Report by Genetic Engineers (sott.net)
- Plan to merge labs for biofuel research criticized (sfgate.com)
- Let’s get real on synthetic biology (newscientist.com)
- Scientists Genetically Engineered Cows to Produce Human Breast Milk (pakalertpress.com)
- Critics raise safety concerns with biotech labs at Berkeley forum (mercurynews.com)
- Awesome Video Explains Synthetic Biology (singularityhub.com)
- Bioeconomy: Blueprint or Biotechnology Boost? (civileats.com)