Pyongyang has slammed the largest US-led military drills to be conducted close to North Korea’s borders as rattling the saber. Many see the move as a US pretext to step-up presence in the region with a view to containing China’s influence.
The drills threaten to bring “a new cloud of war to the region” said North Korea’s Defense Ministry on Thursday.
“The North’s people and military are intensely watching the trilateral military drill,”
said ruling party newspaper Rodong Sinmun. It also urged the US to stop
in the region.
South Korea, Japan and the US are participating in the military drills that will span two days, involving destroyers, helicopters and nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier George Washington. Seoul has issued a statement saying that the drills will focus on humanitarian operations such as search and rescue missions.
- South Korea, Japan, US Hold Military Drills (voanews.com)
- U.S., South Korea, Japan Set To Practice Unusual Military Drill (theaveragejoenewsblogg.com)
- S. Korea‚ Japan‚ US begin drill amid N. Korea protest (thehimalayantimes.com)
- National › S Korea, Japan, U.S. begin drill amid N Korea protest (japantoday.com)
- China and US should do more to develop Asian cooperation system (wantchinatimes.com)
- U.s. Missile Deal Enables S. Korea to Hit Most of North (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- North Korea leader observes military drill amid threats (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- ‘Unimaginable and Miserable Punishment’ to Follow Interception of DPRK Satellite (Rodong Sinmun, North Korea) (themoderatevoice.com)
- “NKorea says US should halt sanctions, military exercises if it wants nuclear-free peninsula” and related posts (taragana.com)
- North Korea suffering severe drought – state media (newsinfo.inquirer.net)