The White House has gone on the record to say that US President Barack Obama will veto the controversial cybersecurity bill known as CISPA, but the author of the act has his doubts that the commander-in-chief will keep that promise.
Congressman Mike Rogers (R-Michigan), one of two US Representatives responsible for introducing the heated Cyber Intelligence Security Protection Act to Congress, has opened up once more on the subject of CISPA. According to the lawmaker — who also sits as chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence — President Obama is likely to loosen his stance on the cybersecurity bill and sign it into law if given the change.
“[I]f we can get a bill on information-sharing to the president’s desk, he’ll sign it. I do believe that,” Rep. Rogers said this week during a panel discussion on the bill, reports Daily Dot.
Since being introduced earlier this year, CISPA has attracted criticism from across the country thanks to activists rallying against the attempt to involve Washington in the inner workings of the Web. If passed, the government would be given the go-ahead to peer into personal information stored online by Internet users and would be invited to put their eyes on sensitive data provided to third-party companies and other private sector corporations that operate on the Web — all while excusing those businesses from any liability — under the guise of national security.
- CISPA sponsor says Obama will sign cybersecurity bill (rt.com)
- Psh, Obama’s not going to veto CISPA, says bill co-sponsor (digitaltrends.com)
- White House Says President Obama Will Definitely Veto CISPA [Cispa] (gizmodo.com)
- Stallman: CISPA ‘nearly abolishes’ the right not to be unreasonably searched (rt.com)
- Obama administration ‘opposes Cispa’ assures White House (slashgear.com)
- Microsoft says tone on CISPA the same despite likely veto (electronista.com)
- Major CISPA opponent steps down, jeopardizing White House’s veto promise (weeklyintercept.blogspot.com)
- New CISPA cybersecurity bill will censor the Web..trumps SOPA (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- WTF is CISPA? (bgr.com)
- If you trust Obama to veto CISPA or similar legislation you’re in for a rude awakening (EndtheLie.com)