by Erik Altieri, NORML Communications Coordinator
June 19, 2012
Hot on the heels of the Texas Democratic Party’s endorsement of marijuana decriminalization, the North Carolina Democratic Party endorsed two resolutions in support of marijuana law reform of their own. On Saturday, June 16th, the party held their state convention in Raleigh, NC. During this meeting they passed two reform minded resolutions, one calling for the legalization of medical marijuana and one for the industrial cultivation of hemp. The official text of the resolutions are as follows:
51. IN SUPPORT OF LEGALIZING MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN NORTH CAROLINA (11TH CD)
WHEREAS, “Medical Marijuana” has been demonstrated to be an effective drug for treatment of certain human ailments; and
WHEREAS, Current North Carolina law denies doctors the right to treat patients by prescribing
Medical Marijuana; and
WHEREAS, Many states currently allow doctors to prescribe Medical Marijuana, a policy resulting in relief from pain and suffering for their patients; and
WHEREAS, Many other treatments legally prescribed by doctors are known to be extremely dangerous when misused.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, That the State of North Carolina grant doctors the right to prescribe Medical Marijuana in the same way they prescribe other drugs; and
BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED, That the State of North Carolina legalize the use of Medical Marijuana.
52. IN SUPPORT OF THE RENEWAL OF INDUSTRIAL HEMP AS AN AGRICULTURAL CROP IN NORTH CAROLINA (11TH CD)
READ MORE>> NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform.
- Medical Cannabis “Patients’ Room” Launches on Doobons.com (prweb.com)
- City Attorney Dennis Herrera Defends Medical Marijuana Permitting (blogs.sfweekly.com)
- Second Medical Marijuana User Denied Transplant at Cedars-Sinai (laist.com)
- Feds Make Big Medical Marijuana Bust (huffingtonpost.com)
- Marijuana regulation bill passes in California Assembly (heraldonline.com)
- Marijuana Decriminalization Makes It Onto Texas Democratic Platform (thinkprogress.org)
- Medical Marijuana Use and Mental Disorder (stoningdemons.wordpress.com)
- Study: No proof that medical marijuana increases teen use (summitcountyvoice.com)
- DOJ uses civil suits in attempt to shutter medical marijuana businesses in CA (coloradoindependent.com)
- National Medical Marijuana Business Conference Announced for 2012: More Than 200 of America’s Cannabis Dispensaries, Infused Product Makers & MMJ Entrepreneurs to Attend (prweb.com)