The congressional investigation that began 16 months ago into the botched anti-gunrunning operation Fast and Furious may be heading toward a resolution, as Attorney General Eric Holder attempts to make a deal with Republican Rep. Darrell Issa by offering some key documents in exchange for Issa calling off a contempt vote scheduled for Wednesday.
The latest developments set up a meeting at 5 p.m. Tuesday between Holder, Issa and other lawmakers on the documents and the contempt vote.
Holder, in a letter to Issa delivered Monday, said the Justice Department “has offered a serious, good faith proposal to bring this matter to an amicable resolution in the form of a briefing based on documents that the committee could retain.”
Until now, Issa, the chairman of House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has demanded to see a trove of documents on the controversial Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives operation — and to know who prepared a now-retracted letter from Feb. 4, 2011, in which the Justice Department claimed the U.S. did not knowingly help smuggle guns to Mexico, including those later found at the murder scene of border agent Brian Terry
Congressional Republicans familiar with the investigation say Issa is under pressure from House Speaker John Boehner to drop the Fast and Furious investigation because Boehner sees it as an election-year distraction that could hurt Republicans at the polls.
- Holder agrees to give Issa internal emails on Fast and Furious, offers to meet (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Rep. Issa Agrees to Postpone Contempt Vote If AG Holder Hands Over DOJ Documents (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Holder aims to head off contempt vote (politico.com)
- You: Holder Proposes Meeting with Issa (thedailybeast.com)
- Issa to Holder: Give me ‘serious proposal’ and I’ll drop contempt vote (thehill.com)
- Holder agrees to meet with Issa (thehill.com)
- Holder Seeks Meeting with Congressional Leaders to Avert Contempt Vote (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- Holder proposes expanded talks on Fast and Furious (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- TEXT: AG Holder Sends Rep. Issa Letter Concerning ‘Fast and Furious’ Meeting (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Ahead of Fast and Furious hearing, Issa tells Holder ‘lead or resign’ (xoutsocialism.wordpress.com)