TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Attorneys arguing on behalf of Barack Obama’s re-election plans today urged a Florida judge to decide that Obama is not yet the Democratic nominee for president and ignore evidence challenging his eligibility.
The arguments were raised by attorney Mark Herron on behalf of Obama in a hearing before Judge Terry Lewis in Florida, who is best known for presiding over the 2000 Bush v. Gore election dispute.
Lewis is credited with making crucial rulings in the contested 2000 presidential election when ultimately a Florida recount was halted by the U.S. Supreme Court, and George W. Bush was declared the winner.
Attorney Larry Klayman filed the challenge to Obama’s eligibility for the ballot on behalf of Michael Voeltz, who identifies himself in the complaint as “a registered member of the Democratic Party, voter, and taxpayer in Broward County.”
Attorneys representing Obama at the hearing, which was livestreamed by WND, argued that the Florida presidential preference primary, which listed Obama as the only Democrat nominee, didn’t make him the party’s nominee for president.
Herron argued the Florida process affirms only that Obama is the choice in the state’s presidential preference primary but is not necessarily the party’s nominee for president.
A video recording of the hearing will be available for viewing online at WND
“This language clearly indicates the winner of the president preference primary, not the nominee of the party,” he said.
But the judge noted that the party wrote to Florida’s secretary of state a letter indicating Obama’s name was the only one submitted, and he thought the state’s electors were bound to vote for him.
- Obama attorneys argue he’s not Dem nominee (wnd.com)
- Sheriff Joe to testify at Florida Obama eligibility hearing tomorrow (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Watch Florida eligibility hearing live (wnd.com)
- Sheriff Joe challenges eligibility in Florida (wnd.com)
- Florida judge hearing Obama ballot challenge (clickorlando.com)
- Dispatches From Birtherstan – 12-13 June 2012 (badfiction.typepad.com)
- Florida man files suit to get President Obama off ballot (local10.com)
- BREAKING: Sheriff Joe Files Affidavit On Obama Eligibility in FLORIDA! (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Bush v. Gore judge: Your evidence, Mr. Obama?(FL Judge Lewis challenges POTUS NBC status!) (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Sheriff Joe Challenges Eligibility In Florida (tarpon.wordpress.com)