Flight restrictions are in place while the First Family is in town this weekend
By Alexandra Clark
A Cessna, similar to this one, was one of the planes intercepted by NORAD for flying in a restricted zone on Friday while the President was in town.
In separate incidents, two small planes flying over Chicago on Saturday were intercepted by an F-15 fighter under the direction of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).
There is a temporary flight restriction while the First Family is in town for the weekend.
One plane, a Cessna 172, was escorted from the restricted area around 4:30 p.m. without incident. The pilot was directed to contact the FAA for further instructions.
Another plane, described as a small single aircraft, was escorted without further incident at approximately 10:45 a.m.
NORAD’s mission – in close collaboration with homeland defense, security, and law enforcement partners – is to prevent air attacks against North America, safeguard the sovereign airspaces of the United States and Canada by responding to unknown, unwanted and unauthorized air activity approaching and operating within these airspaces, and provide aerospace and maritime warning for North America, the release said. NORAD may be required to monitor, shadow, divert from flight path, direct to land and/or destroy platforms deemed a potential threat to North America.
The Obamas arrived in Chicago on Friday to attend a wedding in their Kenwood neighborhood.
- You: F-15 intercepts 2 planes in Chicago (nation.com.pk)
- Fighter jet escorts plane away from Chicago airspace (suntimes.com)
- US fighter jet intercepts small plane (news.com.au)
- 75-Year-Old Woman Intercepted By Fighter Jets During Barack Obama’s Visit To Chicago (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- F-15 Jet Intercepts Small Aircraft In Chicago (fox2now.com)
- NORAD Intercepts 2 Aircraft Near Camp David (abcnews.go.com)
- NORAD Intercepts 2 Aircraft Near Camp David (huffingtonpost.com)
- NORAD intercepts 2 aircraft near Camp David (heraldonline.com)
- NORAD intercepts 2 aircraft near Camp David (whptv.com)
- NORAD intercepts two small planes near G8 summit (cnn.com)