by Ezra Van Auken
The Governor of Florida, Rick Scott, announced Tuesday that the state of Florida would soon begin the legal process of suing the Department of Homeland Security in order to acquire access to a database that holds the truth behind Florida voter citizenship status. The reason behind obtaining the database is to have knowledge and take the appropriate action with noncitizens at the voting booth. This decision was derived from the Department of Justice’s request last Wednesday for Governor Scott to stop attempts to discard eligible voters; a request in which the Governor disdained. In an interview with Fox News on Monday, Scott said, “We want to have fair, honest elections in our state and so we have been put in a position that we have to sue the federal government to get this information.”
In April, Michelle Obama spoke to hundreds of supporters in Iowa, discussing that the election could come down to ‘just a few thousand voters’. The first lady stated, “I just want you to remember that in the end, this could all come down to those last few thousand people that we register to vote. It could all come down to those few thousand folks we need to help to get to the polls in November.” Those ‘few thousand voters’ Mrs. Obama was referring to was actually signifying illegal immigrant voters; including a majority from Florida with the number of registers illegal immigrant voters being a whopping 180,000.
The Department of Homeland Security is reluctant about handing over the ‘Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements’ or SAVE database to the Florida government. DHS argues that the information in the database is not fully complete and does not provide thorough facts on every single voter. An official for the DHS said that the department would not consider administering the SAVE database to Governor Scott unless the state of Florida has been cleared from violating federal voter protection laws by attempting to discard eligible voters.
- Florida’s voter purge sparks lawsuits between state and feds (kansascity.com)
- Florida to sue DHS in voter registration battle (lewsnopc.wordpress.com)
- Florida and feds sue each other over noncitizen purge controversy (miamiherald.com)
- Florida governor Rick Scott vs DHS (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- BREAKING: Governor Rick Scott Announces Florida Will Sue Obama Administration Over Voter Purge (thinkprogress.org)
- Florida to sue Homeland Security department in voter purge efforts (dailykos.com)
- Department of Justice Sues Florida Over Voter Purge (theobamacrat.com)
- Rick Scott: I’m suing Homeland Security over database stonewalling in noncitizen purge (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- How Rick Scotts noncitizen voter purge started small and then blew up (miamiherald.com)
- Elections Supervisors Square Off Against Scott’s Purge (miami.cbslocal.com)