Some folks in the Washington, D.C., area are buzzing about what they though was a UFO atop a flatbed truck on the Capitol Beltway.
Turns out the disc-shaped object was just a run-of-the-mill military drone.
MyFoxDC reports that what drivers saw—and some photographed—around 11 p.m. Wednesday on Interstate 270, and then later on Interstate 495, was an X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System being transported from Edwards Air Force Base in California to the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland for testing.
Related video: Recent crash raises questions about drone safety.
During its travels through the D.C. area, local station WTOP reported a flurry of activity on Twitter about the strange-looking object.
This not the first time a drone was mistaken for something alien. Last year, a drone being transported by flatbed to Pax River for practicing aircraft carrier takeoffs and landings was also mistaken for a UFO, the Daily Caller reported.
- Military drone mistaken for UFO on D.C.’s Capital Beltway (sott.net)
- UFO on D.C. Beltway Really a Military Drone (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Drone Mistaken For UFO (personalliberty.com)
- Drone causes ‘UFO’ panic on D.C. highways (wnd.com)
- Military X-47B Drone Mistaken for UFO in D.C. (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Military Drone Mistaken for ‘UFO’ Along DC Highways (theintelhub.com)
- Drone mistaken for ‘UFO’ creates panic on highway (foxnews.com)
- “UFO” spotted on Beltway was a military drone (cbsnews.com)
- UFO Beltway Mystery Turns Out to be Drones (snspost.com)
- Military plane mistaken for UFO in College Park (wjla.com)